Help! Why does my dog throw up after drinking water?
There may be multiple reasons why your dog might throw up after drinking water. It shouldn’t be worrisome if this happens occasionally, but if he vomits every time he consumes water, that should alert you. After all, what is why dogs expel water out from their bodies after having it? Read the next few lines below to find out!
He’s dying out of thirst!
Your dog might be drinking water too fast; If he is extremely thirsty after playing or chasing someone and then drinks water hurriedly, chances are he might throw up later. This happens because he puts more water in his body than he can store. Coldwater can fill the stomach very quickly, so there’s a higher probability of your dog throwing up the cold water that he chugged.
To avoid situations where your dog throws up water, you can add a (clean and large) stone in his water so that while drinking water, he gets distracted by it and takes a break.
You could also use small water bowls to give less water to your dog at once.
Maybe it is because of a disease!
Maybe he throws up because he has some underlying undiagnosed sickness like infections, blockages, toxins, or liver/kidney failures. These cases are severe, and you must take a trip to the veterinarian to solve the issue of your dog throwing up.
One example of a severe case is a disease known as ‘megaesophagus’ among dogs; this disease causes the esophagus to contract abnormally, which causes food and water to build up in the dog’s throat, and when your dog tries to eat or drink something, the food is ejected out forcefully.
They drink it to alleviate their nausea.
If your dog feels nauseous and wants to feel better, he might binge on water. Filling his stomach with excessive water will make your dog throw up the water, which will remove toxins and wash out his body.
Unhygienic water might be the cause!
If you don’t wash your dog’s eating/ drinking bowl for days, then bacteria might build upon it, and those bacteria will contaminate all the food or water you add to the bowl. Similarly, if you’ve taken your dog out for a walk and they slurp some water from the pond there that’s filled with animal waste, chances are your dog might puke later.
These stagnant ponds at the park might contain pollutants such as fertilizers and toxins that might harm your dog’s health if they drink water from it. Moreover, the ponds might have blue-green algae residing in them, which might be fatal for your dog. Try to avoid letting your dog go near these ponds and lakes to shield their bodies from harmful toxins and chemicals.
It might be because of gastrointestinal blockage!
As a dog mom/ dad, you might be aware of your dog’s unhealthy and peculiar eating habits! These fur babies of yours like to nibble on the weirdest of things, including socks and underwear. However, as mentioned earlier, dogs cannot digest these objects because they are made of cloth, which is inedible. Since cloth isn’t digested, it causes a gastrointestinal blockage which blocks the intestine completely and causes vomiting.
My Dog Gets Sick After Drinking Water. What Should I Do?
We know situations like these are confusing where you can’t figure out how to treat your dog the right way, but stay here because we got you!
You can take the following measures when your dog vomits:
Make them rest and keep water away from them!
Yes, don’t serve them with food or water immediately after throwing up. Please wait at least 2 hours before feeding them again; otherwise, the situation could worsen!
Don’t change their diets without consultation!
If your dog vomits, don’t assume it is because of the food you have given him. There could be so many issues that are causing him to throw up. Don’t change their diets completely because this can worsen the situation too. Instead, try giving him half of the quantity of food you think that’s causing him to get sick. This way, you can come to know if it’s the food that’s causing an upset stomach.
If you change your dogs’ diet completely, they might not like it and then might not eat the food at all, and you certainly don’t want that!
Prevent excessive vomiting!
You can slow down your dog from gulping huge amounts of water in a single time by putting large ice cubes in his water bowl, and if this doesn’t prevent him from consuming small quantities of water at a time, then don’t give them a bowl full of water and serve water in small quantities.
The best practice is to avoid them from going to stagnant ponds, muddy lakes, and swimming pools (with chlorine, which might affect their health). These sources are filled with bacteria that might adversely affect your dog’s health. You can prevent them from using these water sources by carrying a water bottle with you whenever you go for walks or trips with them; this way, your dog will be able to quench their thirst!
Moreover, take care of their eating bowls. Make sure to wash and clean them daily so that bacteria don’t build upon them and don’t affect the food being served in the bowl.
When is it a call for concern?
It is an alarming situation when dogs vomit every time after drinking water. If they expel all the water they consume, their body will be dehydrated, which is an extremely harmful condition, and your dogs will require a cure to overcome this problem. They might need to consume water or fluids through drips to retain water in their bodies. Moreover, if your dog is getting anorexic, bloated, or lazy, then you must take a veterinarian’s appointment to get your dog checked!
Some Common FAQs related to the topic
My dog threw up but is acting normal? Should I be concerned?
Dogs usually throw up food/ water if they have consumed it in large amounts. They sometimes chug on a large amount of food and water that causes gastrointestinal problems, which causes them to vomit.
If this happens occasionally, you shouldn’t be concerned, as this is a common habit among dogs to have food and water in large quantities and throw up later.
How to treat dog vomit treatment at home?
To treat dog vomiting, you need to know the difference between vomiting and regurgitation. Regurgitation means that undigested food comes back to the dogs’ mouth from the esophagus, and he can break it down into smaller chunks and eat them again. Sounds super gross, but regurgitation is not an issue because it only provides a second chance for your dog to eat food.
But vomiting involves your dog expelling out all the food from his body. To treat vomiting at home, you can make use of
This is a great ingredient to move energy upwards for motion sickness and the anti-nausea effect. It also speeds up the digestive process.
How to use it:
Boil a glassful of water. Slice and chop the ginger and add it to the boiling water for 15 minutes. Let the mixture cool and give your dog 1 tsp for good results!
Fennel is good for regulating the temperature of dogs’ bodies and treating nausea. Make a mixture of 1 tsp of fennel seeds and 1 cup of boiling water. Let the mixture sit for about 29 minutes and give 1 tsp of it to your dog.
Thanks for reading through! We hope this article provided you with some insights and information about why your dog throws up water and what measures you could take to prevent this from happening!